- Cinema Morocco
- Brazil, 2018, 76′, col. b/w.
- Rights: Festivals, Sales
In São Paulo, Brazilian homeless, Latin-American immigrants and African refugees occupy an abandoned cinema and reenact scenes from classical movies shown in the theater 60 years before. Facing the threat of an eviction, they go on a journey from life to fiction, from three to two dimensions.
The past of Cinema Morocco, in downtown São Paulo, was glorious:
in 1954, the best and most luxurious cinema in South America hosted the first international film festival of Brazil, attended by Hollywood stars and cinema masters, and screening classics such as Sunset Boulevard, Grand Illusion, Julius Caesar, Sawdust and Tinsel and Bread, Love and Dreams among others.
A Night in 67, the first documentary directed by Ricardo Calil, was selected by IDFA (International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam) for the section Cinema do Brasil, as one of the most relevant Brazilian documentaries produced in this century.
The movie won the prize for best documentary given by the Brazilian Foreign Press Association, besides awards in festivals in Jerusalem (Israel) and João Pessoa (Brazil). I Am Carlos Imperial (Eu Sou Carlos Imperial), his second documentary, premiered at It’s All True, Brazilian’s most important documentary festival, and won honorable mention at the In-Edit Brazil festival. Cinema Morocco is his third feature documentary.
Calil also works as a scriptwriter for “Talk with Bial”, TV Globo’s prime talk show, and writes movie reviews for different publications in Brazil
Loiro Cunha, Carol Quintanilha
Flávio Guedes, Ricardo Pinta
Alexandre João Alberto, Dulce Tavares Fagner Oliveira, Joseph Ojong Akem,
Junior Panda Badibanga, Kouotou Yamaya, Tatiane Oliveira, Valter Machado, Volusia Gama
Eliane Ferreira, Pablo Iraola
- Production Company
- Dok Leipzig 2018 – Next Masters Competition
- Guadalajara International Film Festival 2019 – Ibero American Documentary Competition
- It’s All True Sao Paulo International Documentary Film Festival 2019 – Brazilian Feature/Medium Length Competition
- Galerie für Zeitgenössische Kunst Leipzig 2019
- Doc Aviv TelAviv International Documentary Film Festival 2019 – Arts & Colture
- FICG in Los Angeles 2019
- Konrad Wolf Film University Babelsberg Potsdam 2019
- Sao Paulo Documentary Film Festival 2019
- Havana Latin American Film Festival 2019
- Brasilia International Film Festival 2019