- Capital I
- India, 2014, 85’, col.
- Rights: Festivals, Sales
Capital I is an existential psychodrama revolving around a mysterious and unknown artist and depicting the transformation of mind of a young girl whereby she finds herself trapped in between realistic relationships and attractions and a strange relationship with her hallucinatory lesbian partner.
Capital I is 27 year old Amartya Bhattacharyya’s debut feature film. In Capital I, Amartya plays the role of a director, writer, cinematographer, editor, poet, recitation artist, special effects artist and a painter. He is also the voice over artist for the “Philosopher”.
All of Amartya’s films, poems and other works are dark, mostly surreal, and psychoanalytic in nature. He names the genre of his films as ‘Phychodrama’.
Before making Capital I, Amartya has made a few short films, including the poetic psychodrama Boba Mukhosh for which he won the Best Director at White Screen Film Festival 2013 and the Best Editor at Rolling Frames 2013. Also in 2014 his short social drama Niloye Jokhon was officially selected and screened at the 11th Human Rights Film Festival of Barcelona, New York and Paris. His fantasy short documentary Shiuli – In Search of my Goddess! was screened at various festivals round the world including countries like USA, England, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Belarus and Romania. Swargadwar – In Search of Heaven, his 2 minutes silent documentary was officially selected at the 10th Noussa International Film Festival 2014 at Greece and at the 3rd Electric Lantern Film Festival, 2014 at London. An experimental fantasy documentary, Benaras – The Unexplored Attachments, exploring the soul of the ancient city of Varanasi had its World Premiere at the Sahar International Short Film Festival, 2015 in February at Manchester, UK. Amartya’s latest short ‘Hoyto Kobitar Jonyo (In Poetic Hues) is there in the ‘Court Metrage’ section of the 68th Festival de Cannes, 2015.
- Set Design
Mukesh, Kisaloy Roy
Pallavi Priyadarshini, Susant Misra, Ipsita Mohanty, Pratyush Patra, Jeeval Kurmi (Khushi), Bhoumic Nanda, Herjeit Alax, Sangramjit Pujari, Dr. Chinmayee Mishra, Prateek Mohapatra, Sidharth Mohapatra, Ashutosh Panda, Sidharth Goutam, Amrita Chowdhury
Susant Misra, Swastik Choudhury
- Festival du film d’Asie du Sud Transgressif – France 2015
- IFFK – Kerala International Film Festival 2015
- Bengaluru International Film Festival 2016/li>
- Thrissur International Film Festival2016
- Kolkata Shorts Film Festival 2016 – Special Event
- Golden Triangle International FF 2016
- Delhi Habitat Film Festival 2016
- Bioscope Global Film Festival Jalandhar 2016
- Khajuraho International Film Festival 2016
- Chennai Rainbow Film Festival 2016-2017
- Zeitgeist Mumbai 2017
- Bodhisattva International Film Festival Patna 2017
- Bhubaneswar Indian Film Festival 2018
- The Cuckoo Club Bandra Mumbai 2018
- Antisocia Hauz Khas New Delhi 2018